Saturday, September 27, 2008

Doing what matters

Sunday, September 28, 2008

When I finish writing this post, I'm going out to take some pictures. It's been a long time since I've been picture taking.

When I retired, I thought I would do three things: write, take pictures (such as the ones in the heading of this blog and on my web site), and learn cartooning. I've not been very faithful to the cartooning.

Retirement is an interesting thing. I spent my whole working life being connected with people and doing things for people. In addition to church things, I helped set up a food pantry and served on a senior center board. When I was working, some weeks I might have six or eight different meetings, not many for all you big executives, but too many for me, really.

I decided that when I retired I would try to do creative things, but not the same kinds of things I had done for at least the last twenty five years. So now that's what I'm doing.

At lot of things remind me that I don't have forever. I'm 66. I might have ten to fifteen years left if I am very lucky. I need to decide what I value and work at that. But really, that's true at any age, isn't it? In The Body in the Record Room, the little man often says, "Nothing lasts forever." If there is something you've been wanting to do, if there's some way for you to do it, do it. We really just have this moment, this day. Nothing else is given to us. Let's all decide to use it well.

PS I just got back from my outing. Things are beautiful around here. Here's the first picture I took this trip out. --Joe.


If you would like to respond to this post, please leave a comment or go to my web site where there is an email address. Thanks.

No comments: