Thursday, November 20, 2008

When you hit the wrong button

Thursday, November 20, 2008

What happens when you hit the wrong button? I just did that. I was about half way through writing this morning's blog, I hit the wrong button, and I lost it all. Not only that, I had failed to save.

I just saved this. Now that the horse is out of the barn, I'm not going to make that mistake again.

Have you ever noticed that as a writer, the file you lost is always better than the file you created when you rewrote it? There's no way of knowing which was better really, but I will always think the one I lost was the best one.

I write best when I'm just bombing along, not trying to be too cute. When the words flow, sometimes they come out the best that I will ever make them. They may need some correction, but not a lot. If I do a lot of changing, they become wooden and unreal.

So for now, you're going to have to live this day knowing that the best thing I wrote for you this morning shot off into computer heaven (or hell or purgatory or wherever such things go). But you'll also have the consolation of knowing that you're not the only one who sometimes hits the wrong button. We all do, and we all think that what we lost is better than what we wrote to recreate it.

As Ellen would say, "Oh, well . . . "


If you would like to respond to this post, please leave a comment or go to my web site where there is an email address. Thanks.

No comments: