Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Where faith intersects

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Today, Erica Orloff's blog has an interview she did with me. I was pleased and honored she would do it. I have great respect for the advice she gives writers.

One thing she asked was where my faith intersects my writing. Here's a part of my reply:

----

When you were raised on the grounds of a mental hospital, you have a broader definition of what it means to live in the love of Jesus Christ than some people would. I often say, "God loves those we would throw away." That includes people in categories we would throw away--the mentally ill, homosexuals (whom I believe should be allowed full rights including marriage), and a lot of others.Because he was a prominent doctor in our community, my father had contact with all kinds of people. Often I admired the mental patients I came into contact with more than I did the members of the country club. That way of seeing things informs everything I am and everything I do.

---

I was greatly honored (in fact, almost overwhelmed) to be in Erica Orloff's blog today. I don't know what to say about her comments. They were a blessing to me. Thanks, Erica. And thanks most of all for caring for the kind of hurting people we should all care for.


If you would like to respond to this post, please leave a comment or go to my web site where there is an email address. Thanks.

3 comments:

Realmcovet said...

You are beautiful. Plain and simply, just beautiful.

Joe Barone said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joe Barone said...

Realm:
Thanks for the nice note. --Joe.