Sunday, December 14, 2008

Christmas memories

Sunday, December 14, 2008

When we were little children, our parents used to leave candy bars on the window sill at Christmas. The candy was from the elves.

I think the whole thing started when a neighbor named Clair wanted to do that, and my mom and dad gave her permission. She was an older lady who, like many older neighbors, loved children.

Anyway, one night my sister and I were having a fight. Clair saw us through our front window. When we went to get the candy bars, there was a candy bar for me and a note for my sister. It said, "I saw you spit on your brother. You don't get a treat tonight."

Of course, we've always remembered the story.

Sometimes, even when we lived in town, we were at the state hospital in the evening when we were supposed to get the candy bars. The elves always found us there. If you have seen the huge center building of the Nevada, Missouri State Hospital on the Kirkbride web site listed to the right, you know the setting. The elves left the candy bars on the second from the far right porch window of that huge building. That was the room that housed the switchboard and receptionist at the hospital.

We all have wonderful Christmas memories, don't we? If you would like to share some of yours, I would love to hear them, either in a comment below or in an email. Just go to my web site. The email address is there.


If you would like to respond to this post, please leave a comment or go to my web site where there is an email address. Thanks.

2 comments:

Realmcovet said...

One year, my last year actually, before moving out and starting a family of my own, my brothers and I had been working on this hellaciously evil 5000 piece puzzle, and my mom had joined in at the last minute and we were finally narrowing it down to the last 50 pieces or so. We always celebrate Christmas on Christmas Eve instead, so I got the idea of hiding the last puzzle piece.

My mind worked a bit further in devising something more dramatic, so I ran upstairs, grabbed a pair of scissors, some scotch tape and a roll of wrapping paper. I then went to work in a giggled frenzy, hardly being able to anticipate the end result of this sanity, as I could hear my 3 brothers and mom scrambling to find the last piece downstairs.

The ideal of completely finishing that ridiculous puzzle had been given up on after a 2 hour hunt for the thing. (I even pretended to look for it and get annoyed when nobody could find it, just to add flavor to the final moment.)

You can only imagine the insane bursts of giggles and laughter as my mom and 3 brothers opened the last present that Christmas Eve, tucked under Christmas Tree rug, in a tiny box.

It brought more joy, laughter and smiles than ANY material thing could.

I laughed out loud about about your sister's little note. I bet you were grinning ear to ear!! Lol!

Joe Barone said...

Realm,
What a wonderful story! We always have time with our best friends, usually a day or two after Christmas. One of the things we do is put together a Christmas jigsaw puzzle as a part of that time together.