Sunday, December 28, 2008

Your name matters

Sunday, December 28, 2008

Your name matters.

I thought of that again as I read David Gibson's blog on "Recovering St. Joseph." Look especially at the picture in that blog.

My name is Joseph. When I was in Catholic grade school I studied about Joseph, that shadowy figure in the Bible with the grace to marry an already pregnant woman.

Joseph was always faithful. He saved the baby when the angel told him there was danger. And he took care of his family as best he could, as poor as they all were. Joseph was a good man.

I hadn't thought of it before, but in my book The Body in the Record Room, my Roy Rogers takes a new name because a person's name matters. You may or may not have been named for someone, but if you were, you know that person and you know what that implies for you.

And if you weren't, you, like my Roy Rogers, may wish you had been. You may wish you could be a person like the person you admire. Or you may be determined to make your own name a name others will admire and respect.

What's in a name? For my Roy Rogers and for me . . . everything.


If you would like to respond to this post, please leave a comment or go to my web site where there is an email address. Thanks.

2 comments:

Erica Orloff said...

Hi Joe:
Gorwing up, I was the only person I knew with my name. I loved being unique, and somehow . . . I think that colored how I looked at myself.

:-)

E

Joe Barone said...

Erica, At the time I was doing the study of St. Joseph, I thought it was silly. Now, maybe I've changed my mind. In Catholic grade schools we studied our namesake saints and the ones whose name we took at confirmation (mine was Paul).