Thursday, January 22, 2009

Keeping track of the weather

Friday, January 23, 2009

Did you know that southwest Missouri had a 12-inch snow January 21, 1958?

Well, I know that and all kinds of other things about the weather in southwest Missouri in 1958. When I get ready to write a new Roy Rogers book (this is the third), I buy weather reports for the year and area I'm writing about.

Now I w
ant to be careful not to brag about this too much. As sure as I do, I'll have one of my characters manipulating the drive lever on the floor of a 1958 Chevrolet pickup when in reality that lever is on the steering wheel post. Or the other way around.

Believe me, there is no way to get all the details perfect, at least if you are as scatterbrained as I am. In some cases on the Record Room book, a sharp-eyed wonderful proofreader and fact checker caught some of my errors, but really the responsi
bility is mine.

I lived through those times
. You'd think I'd remember the details. But do you remember what years it was when some Dodge products had push button automatic transmissions? And do you remember what year the little Crosley car had a small wind-driven but otherwise non-functional propeller on the front?

We had cars like that once, but let's see. What years were those?


If you would like to respond to this post, please leave a comment or go to my web site where there is an email address. Thanks.


2 comments:

Erica Orloff said...

Gosh, you are better than I am!!

But, I also don't usually write about the past, so I guess that let's me off the hook a little bit. (I hope?)

My biggest gaffe as far as this was having a character gardening and PLANTING bulbs in the wrong season. My mother called me and said, "You know you have her doing that in the wrong season." Since I was not as avid a gardener when I wrote it as I am now, I just didn't know that I didn't know. :-)

Joe Barone said...

Erica,
Believe it or not, I thought about you as I was writing this. I thought, "She probably doesn't have that problem very much because, so far as I know, she doesn't write historical novels."