Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Changes to the sidebar

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

There is a new review of The Body in the Record Room. To see it, just click on the link in the first sentence. It is the February 14th post.

I've made some changes to my blog.

You have to be around a long time before you become a part of the group. That was true in the churches I served, and it is true in the blogging world too.

I've found some interesting mystery story blogs, mostly thanks to Corey Wilde of The Drowning Machine. His blog led me to other sites and those led me to others.

And in looking at those blogs, I saw there were some gadgets I wasn't using. I especially liked the little objects on the sidebars which listed blogs and gave a short blurb from their most recent posts. The posts are listed in order of most-recent first.

So I've changed my sidebar. You can now use it to touch into other sites, and you can have some sense of what is on the site before you do that.

In many ways, I think the writers of ordinary books like mine, not best sellers, struggle with how to get their work known. Perhaps blog links are one way. Maybe those links connect you to others with interests similar to yours.

Also, I have added a "Follow This Blog" section to the sidebar. As I understand it, if you work out of Blogger, you can choose to follow this blog, to have a condensation of it put on your dashboard every time it changes. That way you can check in on the blog without having to click on the blog address itself. Then if you see something interesting you can come to the blog and read the whole thing.

I am following several blogs and will probably follow more. It is just so easy.

As you know, I'm retired. My lifelong interest in mystery stories has now become something I can do more hours of the day than ever before.

Being connected with other bloggers, and having time to write my own books each day is a real luxury.

I hope you enjoy reading some of these blogs as much as I do.

If you have suggestions of good mystery blogs to include on this sidebar, leave a comment or go to my web site and email me.


If you would like to respond to this post, please leave a comment or go to my web site where there is an email address. Thanks.


2 comments:

Corey Wilde said...

Joe, if you aren't already signed on to it, you might want to have a look at Crimespace. It's free to join, fairly painless, and you'll find many, many published but non-bestselling authors there. They offer each other advice on editing, publishing, blogging, and have interesting conversations about their chosen genre. I'm not an author but I enjoy much of the discussion that goes on there, and I've picked up some good reading recommendations. You can go and look it all over without having to join, just to see if you think it would be of benefit to you.

Joe Barone said...

Thanks, Corey. I'm headed there now. --Joe.