Friday, February 27, 2009

Who is your audience?

Friday, February 27, 2009

Sometimes Erica Orloff brings out the best in me.

She has a blog where she asks writers to consider various aspects of writing.

A few days ago, she asked about audience. Who do you have in mind as you are putting the words on the page? And I wrote something I didn't really understand until I wrote it. I wrote:

When I start thinking of an outside audience, I get false and hammy. With the Roy Rogers books, I think the only audience I had in mind is buried in a little cemetery with waist-high grass. If the graves are marked at all, they are only marked with numbers.


I can't tell you how much the people I grew up with meant to me. They were mental patients. The ones I knew were special. They are still heroes to me. If my Roy Rogers books don't reflect that, then I've failed.

Enough said, I suppose. For whom do you write?



If you would like to respond to this post, please leave a comment or go to my web site where there is an email address. Thanks.

2 comments:

Erica Orloff said...

I still get chills over that comment, Joe. So poetic . . . so honest.

E

Joe Barone said...

This is something you will understand. Sometimes I don't really know what is at the heart of things for me until I write it down. I learn about myself through writing. That's the way it was with this comment. Until I wrote it, I hadn't known so clearly what it was I was about.