Saturday, March 14, 2009

Father Brown


Saturday, March 14, 2008

I've always wondered about Father Brown.

As a minister, I've written mystery books with minister heroes. I've been aware that the the tradition of the minister detective goes back at least to Father Brown.

Well, I've begun reading The Innocence of Father Brown, a book from a Top 100 list I ran across. The book is a book of short stories. I've read the first two. One was delightful, and one I didn't like at all.

The first story in the book, "The Blue Cross," is a story where a great French detective traces Father Brown all over London following clues Father Brown leaves. The clues are humorous and the trip is fun. Obviously the writing is dated in the way writing from that time (1911) is, but it is a wonderful story.

The other story is a kind of locked room mystery. The most unusual thing about it is who turns out to be the killer.

So Father Brown is up in the air for me right now. I just thought I'd give you a progress report.


If you would like to respond to this post, please leave a comment or go to my web site where there is an email address. Thanks.

2 comments:

Lesa said...

Joe,

It's been a number of years since I read the Father Brown mysteries, but I always loved them. And, you're right. Some were better than others. I did enjoy them, though.

Lesa Holstine
www.lesasbookcritiques.blogspot.com

Joe Barone said...

I'm a bit farther along, and I am enjoying them too for their humor.