Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Thank you for checking in


Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Last Sunday morning, it occurred to me how much I enjoy what I'm doing.

What I'm doing is reading and writing mystery novels. I am occasionally talking on the Internet with people about mystery stories.

I have always loved mysteries. I've used them to get away. I learned from my mother and father to do something for the good of people. That's what they did. They led good lives.

So that's what I tried to do to. I was a minister (Disciples of Christ). I served in small towns. I made the decision at the beginning of my ministry to do that. One congregation offered me the chance to apply in a town of 60,000 (with a good chance of getting the job), and instead I chose to go to a dual-ministry (serving two churches) in a town of fewer than 2,000.

Small rural towns have trouble getting ministers. That was back before the advent of lay ministers. Now small towns would have licensed lay ministers, at least in the Disciples of Christ. But back then, seminary trained ministers served small towns.

Small town ministry is intense. Everything in a small town is run according to what group you are in. It is all personal. People don't usually do things because they are logical, because they will make things better. They do them for the good of their own group. They work for good changes for their group, and insofar as others are concerned, the devil take the hindmost.

Unless, of course, there is an enemy in the other group or someone you don't like. Then other dynamics apply.

So, I had an intense kind of work to do. I used mystery stories to escape from that. I wrote them, not very well, because I didn't have a lot of time to write, and I read them.

Now I am doing that all the time, and I love it. I can't think of a better way to spend retirement.

So that brings me to you. Those of you who check in here, are a part of my community now. We have something in common. We love reading, and for most of us, we love to read and write mystery stories.

Thanks for being my "small town" now. And thanks for relating in a different way than I described above.

PS Don't get me wrong in what I wrote. I loved the ministry in small towns. And I loved the people I worked with every day. My description above is just the way small towns are. It says nothing about the good people in them, and in my experience, there were a whole lot of wonderful people in the small towns where I lived.



If you would like to respond to this post, please leave a comment or go to my web site where there is an email address. Thanks.

1 comment:

Corey Wilde said...

Everyone should be as happy with their choices in life as you, Joe. I have to say, I don't feel too badly about my own, and I realize how blessed I've been to be able to make those choices.