Thursday, April 2, 2009

Bruce Alexander


Thursday, April 2, 2009

Yesterday's review made me think of Bruce Alexander.

If you like easy-going historical mystery novels, I think you might find his among the best. To quote a little review I wrote for Goodreads: "
These novels featuring Sir John Fielding, 18th century judge, and his law clerk [Jeremy Proctor] are interesting mysteries and interesting history. They involve a developing love interest. I found them easy reading and great fun."

My wife and I read the whole set of the Sir John Fielding novels from beginning to end.

It all started, as it so often does, when I was browsing through a remainders book store, one of those outfits that buys the leftovers from publishers and sells them at a steep discount. We have such a store within one hundred miles of us. Three or four times a year we go there. I browse through it and pick up interesting looking books. I've found some of my best reading like that.

Anyway, I found one of the John Fielding novels, read it, and then decided to read them all. That led me to buy several from regular bookstores.

From what I've read since, the Fielding novels are set at a time when modern police forces were just beginning to be formed. In other words, the setting is historical for the mystery genre too.

So if you are looking for a little blast from the past, look up Bruce Alexander's Sir John Fielding series.

2 comments:

Cathy said...

I enjoy this mystery series very much. I'm reading them slowly to make them last!

Joe Barone said...

Cathy,
You will be rewarded. They have a good outcome too.