Friday, April 24, 2009

Kiss Me Deadly


Friday, April 24, 2009

Some books are made to be read on airplanes.

That's the way it is with Mickey Spillane's Kiss Me Deadly. With its dazzling array of beautiful women and serial violence, it is a quick read.

If you don't let Mike Hammer's bluster get in the way, and if you aren't bothered that anyone except an invincible hero like Mike Hammer would have been dead at least five times along the way, the book is fun to read. It has a surprising ending and a fairly complicated plot.

It was written in the 1950's so it is dated. The Mafia seem like pussycats compared with today's Mexican cartel, but that's not Spillane's fault. And the "sexual content" is positively tame according to today's standards. But after all, the world changes.

I'm told this book became one of the best of the noir movies. That's not surprising. Spillane had been a comic book writer. The book was good reading for my last week's airplane rides. It would have been an even better comic or movie.

It is always fun to revisit the old classics. Spillane is a bit more dated than some of the others, but still, he is fun to read.


5 comments:

Corey Wilde said...

I mean to read that book one of these days, even though I'm not a fan of the movie.

Joe Barone said...

Not to discourage you, but I wonder if there aren't better Spillane novels. I, The Jury is on my top 100 reading list, so I will be reading that one of these days.

I had this one on my shelf and just picked it up before we left for Boston.

Joe Barone said...

One other point, Corey. I haven't seen the movie, but I understand they changed it greatly from the novel.

Corey Wilde said...

Michael over at the Lazy Thoughts From a Boomer blog rates the movie more highly than I, and he's seen a lot more movies than I have. Mostly I just want to read Spillane so I know what the fuss was once all about. I've noticed that not many modern writers reference Spillane as an influence or even a favorite.

Joe Barone said...

I picked up Spillane for the same reason. I wanted to know what the fuss was about.