Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Which of these opinions is most true?

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Sherlock Holmes is one of the most opinionated fictional characters I've ever met.

In just a couple of Doyle's short stories, Holmes says, "My dear fellow, life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent."

He also says, "Never trust to general impressions, my boy, but concentrate yourself upon details."

Then, "The more featureless and commonplace a crime is, the more difficult it is to bring it home."

And finally, "Circumstantial evidence is a very tricky thing. It may seem to point very straight to one thing, but if you shift your own point of view a little, you may find it pointing in an equally uncompromising manner to something entirely different."

Sherlock Holmes is an opinionated cuss. Which of these opinions is most true? And which is wrong?

3 comments:

Corey Wilde said...

Wow, those are all truisms that apply today, don't you think?
Although by 'bring it home' does Holmes mean solve the crime (as I first thought) or does he mean something entirely different?

Joe Barone said...

Corey,
In the context of the story, I think he means to solve the crime, but it is interesting to think about whether it is harder to even carry out (bring home) the kinds of simple commonplace crimes he is describing.

I know from my experience in writing that it is easier to write a complicated than a simple story. With a few exceptions (Ross Macdonald would be one), I've always thought the simple stories were the best.

pattinase (abbott) said...

I'm listening.