Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Censorship


Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Over at Crime Always Pays, Declan Burke had a fascinating post titled, "God Due To Finally 'Give A Crap' Next Week--Official."

No kidding. That was the title of his post. But what interested me was the subject. He quoted the Irish Times which said, in part:

Minister for Justice Dermot Ahern proposes to insert a new section into the Defamation Bill, stating: “A person who publishes or utters blasphemous matter shall be guilty of an offence and shall be liable upon conviction on indictment to a fine not exceeding €100,000.”

“Blasphemous matter” is defined as matter “that is grossly abusive or insulting in relation to matters held sacred by any religion, thereby causing outrage among a substantial number of the adherents of that religion; and he or she intends, by the publication of the matter concerned, to cause such outrage.”

Question: What would happen to the number and quality of mystery novels if we lived in a society that imposes widespread official government censorship? I mean the kind of censorship where you could go to jail or be killed for what you write?

I understand that some may feel we are already too censored, but I'm talking about an even broader censorship.


PS The picture with this post is Declan's book The Big O. It is on my "To Be Read" list. You'll be hearing about it here, hopefully within the next month. The more I read good blogs, the more my list grows!

3 comments:

Corey Wilde said...

I think you'll enjoy Declan's book. It's screwball comedy among criminals.

Joe Barone said...

I think he has also written a series. I've got one of those books to read. Guess where I learned about him?

Corey Wilde said...

Um... ESP? :-)