Sunday, May 3, 2009

The Killing of the Tinkers

Monday, May 4, 2009

I just finished
The Killing of the Tinkers, the second book in Ken Bruen's Jack Taylor series.

No one writes more powerfully than Ken Bruen. By "writes," I mean the actual words he puts on paper.

Bruen's hero Jack Taylor is an alcoholic and a cocaine addict. Jack's choices are brutal. But someone has called Bruen's writing lyrical. That someone is correct.

The Killing of the Tinkers is the second book in the series. Unless Jack changes, I can't see how he will survive to make it to the newest book Sanctuary.

PS There is one special thing about Jack Taylor. He takes refuge in reading. The Killing of the Tinkers has chapter headings based on Taylor's reading. Taylor has a special love for Ed McBain. He shares that with many of us.

3 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

He's aces.

Joe Barone said...

Pttinase,
I learned about Ken Bruen from Corey Wilde's blog The Drowning Machine. At Corey's suggestion, I'm reading through from the first book to the current one. And I must say, I agree with you. He's aces.

Corey Wilde said...

I'm glad you're appreciating Jack's story. Bruen is, as Patti says, aces. A very special talent.