Saturday, June 27, 2009

Life changing books










Click on picture to learn about it.


Saturday, June 27, 2009

The Nancy Drew series influenced Judge Sonja Sotomayor to become a lawyer. A quote on the Mystery Scene blog reminded me of that. And that led me to wonder if there had been life-changing books for me.

Oddly enough, I couldn't think of any except the Bible and some other ancient writings.

I come at the Bible in a different way than many do. I see it as literature, written by many different authors. In some cases, the Bible was redacted into something which reflects the view of later editors. Only hints of the former writers still peek through.

The Bible influences me much more as literature than it does as a book upon which later people based their doctrines.

So now that we have that heresy out of the way, what book or books changed your life? And what book or books play a large part in your life? It is not an easy question, is it?


PS I acknowledge that stories like the story of Nancy Drew influencing Sonja Sotomayor may be part of the mythology politicians build up around their nominees to make them seem more human. Still, I read Nancy Dew and The Hardy Boys when I was growing up. It doesn't surprise me that she did too.

No comments: