Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Private Heat

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Action everywhere.

Robert E. Bailey's
Private Heat reminds me of an action movie. Cars fly everywhere. Several cars and buildings burn. Every third scene or so has private eye Art Hardin in the back of an stolen ambulance trying to prevent the murder of his client or something else like that.

As I said yesterday, Bailey gets the details right. The cover is appropriate. This book has more factual detail about guns and ammunition than I remember in anything I've read. It also has a lot of obviously accurate investigative detail. Baily knows the nitty-gritty of being a PI.

It is clear that Bailey is or was a private investigator himself. I suspect he thinks most crime novels have the little things all wrong. He is determined to write a book that gets it right.

And the plot is sufficiently complex, involving eleven million dollars made originally from crimes based around a gambling operation.

One of the most refreshing things about the book is that in his family life, Art Hardin is an ordinary person. He is happily married with two sons. He's not an addict or otherwise screwed up.

The
Library Journal review quoted on the front cover says the book has "clever plotting, crisp prose, and thrilling action." The reviewer has it right. I enjoyed reading Private Heat.

2 comments:

Corey Wilde said...

I'm still hoping that someday there'll be a fourth Art Hardin book. There's been nothing new from Bailey in quite a while.

Joe Barone said...

Since 2007, so far as I can tell. I too would like to see a new one.