Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Short Takes


Tuesday, June 25, 2009

--This has been a summer filled with animals for us. We walk a mile and one-half twice a day. A few days ago, we saw a deer and her two fawns. We've seen the mother fox and three half grown kits. The young groundhogs are out eating the clover (I think the clover). They are probably in their second season. And there are the usual birds, squirrels and rabbits.

--If you want to read an interesting story, you might look up Patricia Abbott's "Last Rights." The story will remind some people of experiences with loved ones in their own lives. It does me.

--I am about two-thirds through Robert E. Bailey's first Art Hardin novel
Private Heat. It is refreshing to read a well-written private detective novel where the author obviously has the details right. Even without yet finishing it, I recommend it.

--And back to the fox. Some scenes stick in your mind. We live in a retirement village run by the Lutheran Senior Services. Lenoir Woods has individual homes, retirement apartments, and two care facilities. It is set in a few acres of green space and woods.

On our walk a week or so ago, we came upon something I would never have thought I'd see. The mother fox was climbing the side of a brick house, standing back, throwing herself at the brick, propelling herself up the side of the brick wall. She had cornered a squirrel just below the eave.

We watched her charge up the wall several times, catch the squirrel, and carry it off, probably to her kits, though they are good sized now.

We are all surrounded by life and death if we take the time to notice.

2 comments:

Corey Wilde said...

That must have been an amazing sight, watching that fox attack a brick wall to get to the squirrel!

Joe Barone said...

I'm not a visual person, but some scenes stick in my mind. I will always be able to see that particular scene in my mind.