Monday, June 22, 2009

Walking Around Money

Monday, June 22, 2009

What do you do if you have a criminal mind, but you don't want to live a life of crime?

You become Donald E. Westlake.

Westlake's novella Walking Around Money introduced me to John Dortmunder. I may have read one of Westlake's Dortmunder books years ago, but if so, it didn't stick in my mind.

I could see the double con coming, but for the life of me, I couldn't figure out the second part. I knew it was a kind of sting, but the plot was so clever, I was blind to what Dortmunder and Kelp could do.

This is my second Westlake book in the last month. After only two, I have to believe the man is a master at plotting, at coming up with interesting schemes and details.

I have at least two Donald E. Westlake books on the Top One Hundred list I'm reading through. It will be fun to see where those lead me.

2 comments:

Corey Wilde said...

I have to agree, the man was a master plotter. This story is a little different because Dortmunder and Kelp are so on top of things. Usually with those two, anything that can go wrong, will.

Joe Barone said...

I will be reading more Dortmunder books.