Friday, July 17, 2009

A couple of July birthdays


Friday, July 17, 2009

One of my favorite writers, Erle Stanley Gardner (1889-1970), was born today. I used to love the Perry Mason books. They were just what they came to be on TV, well-written entertainment.


Over twenty years ago I used to visit an old couple in their little home. They had retired to our community from California, taken advantage of the downgrade in living costs to return to their small home town. Every time I went, the man had Perry Mason on the TV.

I think I read one time where Gardner dictated the books to a secretary. I don't know if that is true or not, but the thing I liked best of all about the Perry Mason books was their style. They were good, flowing, easy reading. I know not everyone would agree, but to each his own.

If I have it figured right, Gardner would be 120 today.

The other July birthday of a favorite writer is Raymond Chandler. He was born July 23, 1888.

If you want to look at an interesting post I ran across today, check here. I have bookmarked this blog.

No comments: