Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Series or non-series

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Which would you rather read, a series or a non-series mystery novel?

And which would you rather write?

I have three books in my Roy Rogers series. I came to the conclusion that the story shouldn't go on forever. After all, the place about which it was written didn't go on forever.

Most readers may not have the opportunity to read all three books, but as a writer, that's where I came out.

And what do I prefer to read? Either a well-written series or an excellent individual novel.

Some series fall flat. For some time, that has been happening to Stephanie Plum for me. But I never tired of Ed McBain's 87th precinct novels. Some McBains were better than others (hence the picture with this blog), but they always gave me good reading.

Do you have a favorite series? What stand-alone books would be on your "best of all time" list?

2 comments:

Corey Wilde said...

I like so many series but probably Robert Crais's Elvis Cole is my favorite. Or maybe Peter O'Donnell's Modesty Blaise series. Or AA Fair's Donald Lam series. Yeah, I can't make up my mind. Same with non-series.

Joe Barone said...

Aside from A.A. Fair, I haven't read the others. You keep leading me to good reading.