Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Remembering Roy, Dale and Harry


Wednesday, August 5, 2009

I received a royalty check for
The Body in the Record Room. I used part of it to remember Roy Rogers, Dale Evans and Harry.

Each time I get royalties on the book, I tithe them. This time it was ten percent to a local emergency shelter for abused children and ten percent to the local animal shelter.

The amount to the children's shelter is in honor of Roy Rogers and Dale Evans who did so much to help children. It is also in honor of my Roy who had a special interest in abused children too.

The animal shelter gets its ten percent in honor of Harry and his intense love of animals.

I argued with myself whether or not to share this with you. I did for two reasons. If you bought the book or read the book from the library or in some other way, you helped contribute to these causes. A portion of the royalties I got on the book you read went to these causes.

And even more, I would like to encourage you to remember those who matter in your life. Use a portion of your money or talents to keep their causes alive. Truthfully, when it comes to giving, your time can sometimes be more important than you money.

Sometimes I marvel at how blessed I am. My wife and I are not rich according to U.S. standards where CEOs get million-dollar-bonuses as a matter of course. But according to the world's standards and the standards of all those who have lived over time, we are incredibly wealthy, both in money and in family.

Right now, so many are unemployed, without health insurance, and struggling, even in this nation. I think of them every day and pray for a change in the economy.

However you can do it, give at least a portion of your blessings back. In their own way, Roy, Dale, and my own Roy and Harry did that.

7 comments:

Corey Wilde said...

Wonderful post, Joe, and I'm not surprised because the book reflects your spirit of generosity.

My tithe goes to a recovery fund to help people in rural communities, who rarely see the kind of funding that big cities get.

And you already know how I feel about libraries. Well, the one in Louisville, Ky, has been badly damaged by flooding this week. They've lost about 10,000 books and who knows how much other material. When they get their Internet access working again, I'm sure they will post ways that people can help them recover. I'll be ready.

Joe Barone said...

I'll keep an eye out for their web site too.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Thanks, Joe. Usually I just return it to the zine but this may be a better use.

Joe Barone said...

You are welcome.

Anonymous said...

That is very nice Joe - you have always made your family proud. You just keep on giving and giving!

Helen said...

I don't know why that post was anonymous but it came from your ole cousin Helen. I really wasn't trying to hide it!! :-)

Joe Barone said...

I thought maybe that was the case, but I didn't dare guess. Thanks!