Thursday, August 27, 2009

Short Takes


Thursday, August 27, 2009

--According to this article, the Sony electronic reader has a program which claims to help people check out electronic books from libraries. I don't see how this will work right now, but it is like everything else. It may be the beginning of something which will work and be used. I've heard librarians are concerned about the effect electronic transmission of books and magazines will have on traffic in their bricks and mortar facilities.

--Probably tomorrow I'll have my few comments after having read Declan Hughes' powerful book All the Dead Voices. Some wars never end.

5 comments:

Corey Wilde said...

I can already check out audio and music from my library via Overdrive.com. I can't check out ebooks only because I don't have an ebook reader. The audio book checkout basically is a downloadable file with an expiration date built into it. When it's time to return the book I don't have to do anything. The file simply can't be read anymore. I imagine checking out ebooks works on the same concept.

I don't know how Sony's device would "help" people check out books. I think it probably allows for the download directly to the reader, possibly wireless. I don't think the Kindle works with the Overdrive site. But I've been wrong before.

Joe Barone said...

The Kindle does not work with it. I figured there was some kind of expiration. You have a more up-town library than some of the libraries in the small places I've lived.

Joe Barone said...

I went to overdrive.com and found that our library has electronic services to check out. That's neat.

Joe Barone said...

I'll shut up one of these days, but I went back and looked to see if they have the electronic check-out services in the small town where we lived before I retired. They have a brand new library with teleconferencing facilities which serve the whole area.

They do not have it where you can do electronic checkout.

Corey Wilde said...

It's interesting that people tend to think of libraries as rather quaint, old-fashioned places, but when it comes to keeping pace with the times, libraries tend do that better than almost any for-profit business I know.