Friday, September 4, 2009

Short Takes

Friday, September 4, 2009

--If you want to read a good short story, look up Clark Howard's "White Wolves" in the most recent issue of Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine. I'm finding some good stories in that magazine. It has been fun to get back to reading short stories again.

--One of the detective stories which seldom gets told is the story of searching for ancient manuscripts. There is usually no murder involved. Here's a newspaper article about the discovery of a fragment of Codex Sinaiticus, supposedly the world's oldest Bible. I came to the story through Matt Rees' blog on CrimeSpace.
Rees' book, The Samaritan's Secret, deals with a murder surrounding another ancient Bible.

--Supposedly the text in the first two entries in this blog are written at about eighth grade level. I found that out by going to a site in which you can paste text and find readablity. Many word processing programs do that too. To me, the most interesting thing is that what I write for this blog is often higher reading level than what I write for my fiction. I use these kinds of tools for the fun of it.

2 comments:

Corey Wilde said...

I subscribed to EQMM, but haven't received my first issue yet. Looking forward to it!

Joe Barone said...

I think you will find some good stories in it. It was better than I had remembered years ago.