Sunday, March 28, 2010

DO YOU WRITE ABOUT EVERY BOOK YOU READ?

 
It occurred to me that I should tell you this.  If you read my blog, you read about the books I liked.

By and large, if I read a book I don't like, I don't write about it.  Also, if I have a book I don't finish (and there are at least a couple each month), I don't write about them.

I write mystery novels.  I know how hard novel writing is.  And I am not God when it comes to knowing what is and is not good.  (Sometimes I wonder if even God can always make that distinction.)  So I don't have any vested interested in trashing books that don't interest me.  

Don't get me wrong.  I appreciate professional critics who do publish their pans as well as their picks.  They help me choose.  But with some critics, I know almost instinctively, if they pan it, I will like it.  And if they pick it, I well might not.

Again, I repeat what I say in my little blurb over at the right.  This blog is just a record of what I've read.  I sometimes use it to go back and look up a book to refresh what that book was about.  

I do appreciate your reading this blog.  I've made some good reading friends on the the Internet, and I've come across good books I wouldn't otherwise have known.  I thank God for that. 


--------
About the little drawing--I made this cartoon self-portrait a few years ago.  One great thing about drawings.  They don't age. 

5 comments:

Naomi Johnson said...

I don't even write about every book I read that I liked.

Joe Barone said...

Naomi,
I'm sure that's the case. I think you read more books than I do.

I started this blog originally just as a way for people who had read my book to keep in touch with me.

Then it turned into a record of my reading, sort of reading diary for me, a place where I can go back and refresh my memory as to some book I've read and thought worth remembering.

The added blessing was the blog friends I made in the process. And the books and authors I ran across because of those blog friends (prime example--Ken Bruen whom I might not have ever heard of if it weren't for Corey, and whom I now see as the one I'd name the best living writer of crime stories).

Karen said...

I have a mystery book review blog and I made a conscious decision NOT to review every book. I only write about the ones I finished, and I only read (to the end) the ones I like.

As an academic (and former book review editor for an academic journal), I *have* to write bad reviews sometimes. But when I'm reading for pleasure, I don't want to invest my time reading something I don't enjoy or writing bad reviews. That's just not my idea of fun.

Natasha Fondren said...

I really meant to do more writing about what I read, this year, but I ended up not having time, because I was so intent on reading more, LOL! And when I'm reading 3-6 books a week, I pretty much forget the details to give it a good review, even if I loved it.

I love your cartoon! I'd really like to do more recording of my reading, like you!

Joe Barone said...

Karen,
I agree that it is a waste of time to read a book you don't like through to the end if you don't have to.

Natasha,
Three to six books a week! I'm envious. I've always wanted to be a faster reader than I am. So many books, so little time.