Friday, April 23, 2010

NEEDLE: A MAGAZINE OF NOIR


The first thing I did when I received my copy of Needle was to turn to Patti Abbott's wonderful story about a washed up mob bodyguard who did his best work near the end of his career.

Then I started from the front and read through.  I read Hilary Davidson's story about a young woman who joined a very exclusive club, Dave Zeltserman's story which dealt with sex and murder, Paul Brazill's little story about how to dispose of bodies, and Sandra Seamans story about an experienced policewoman accused of a crime she didn't commit.

This last story, especially, introduced me to a writer I didn't know.  I was impressed.

In all, this magazine had sixteen noir stories with no other editorial material except a brief introductory essay by the Editor-in-Chief.

This is Issue 1: Volume 1 of Needle.  It had noir stories to please almost every taste.

To buy the magazine, go to the Lulu website.

If you haven't heard of it, Lulu is a print-on-demand web site on which writers can format their own books and then buy them (and sell them) at reasonable cost.  There is no initial expense unless an author chooses to use one of the site's for-fee services, which I expect few writers do.

The books are high quality and well-bound.  

My wife and I have had family books and calendars printed there, most especially a book of recipes which had been kept in the family for probably thirty to fifty years.  

We typed the book, included a few historical family pictures, formatted the book on our own computer, and then had the book printed to give as Christmas presents.  We paid only the $8-$12 cost of each book.  I don't remember the exact price. And we could have bought just one book if that is what we had chosen to do. 

This site would be perfect for people looking to publish family histories, but this very good magazine also illustrates that the site provides an outlet for the many writers with excellent voices, some of whom may never have their work widely commercially published.

There is coming to be a network of blogs, of people who network to promote good writing in genres that interest them.  We can tell people about magazines like Needle.

I've given thought to having some of my own fiction books printed there to give to the family so they remain in the family.  

Needle is not an amateur undertaking.  These are professional writers who write excellent stories.  The stories are so varied that there is something to appeal to the tastes of a variety of readers of noir.

I look forward to the next issue of Needle.

10 comments:

Naomi Johnson said...

Bless you, Joe! I saw that Twitter linked to your review tonight.

Paul D. Brazill said...

Thanks for the hat tip, Joe.

Joe Barone said...

Naomi,
I hope many people read the magazine.

Paul,
You are welcome. I enjoyed the whole magazine.

Hilary Davidson said...

Joe, thanks for your great review of Needle, and for your shout-out about my story. I appreciate it!

Kathleen A. Ryan said...

Nice review! I have my own copy and I'm enjoying it tremendously. I was impressed with the quality of the printing, binding, etc. And the stories? First-rate!

sandra seamans said...

Thank you for the kind words, and the lovely review, Joe!

Joe Barone said...

Hilary, Kathleen and Sandra,

You are welcome. I think Needle and other such well-done publications do a lot to add to the variety of interesting voices in the genre.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Hey, thanks, Joe. I came here trolling for reviews for forgotten books and found this one. Nice. Not forgotten yet though.

Joe Barone said...

Patti,
You know me at least well enough to know that I say what I believe. I don't know whether you meant it this way, but I thought your story was a hoot and a howl, one of the best in the book. Most authors can relate to it for sure.

Steve Weddle said...

Much thanks. Glad you liked it.