Monday, May 31, 2010

A SAVAGE PLACE by Robert B. Parker




A Savage Place by Robert B. Parker has the right title.

A young Los Angeles television reporter hires Spenser to protect her as she investigates mob involvement with a local film studio.  The mob is apparently using the studio to launder dirty money.

Spenser is his usual witty self.  He continues to practice pop psychology (a part I don't like much), and as a result, he gets sloppy in his work.  He puts everyone in danger.

I found the story part of this book powerful.  I could have done without the feminist discussion, Spenser's ruminating on the difference between the male and the female psyche.  I thought it was demeaning to the woman involved.

As a man, I always get myself in trouble when I go down the analyzing-women road, not as much trouble as Spenser does in this book, maybe, but I do get in trouble.

Still, all in all, especially by the end, I liked the book.  Parker is a clear, concise storyteller.  His books are a quick read.  For me, when Robert B. Parker sticks to the action and the story, he does well.

1 comment:

Joe Barone said...

After my walk this morning, I had a little bit of a second take on what I said above.

Spenser is caught between two hard choices. He can let his client take risks and make her own decisions, or he can simply take over and do what he thinks is safest for her, no matter what she wants.

He respects her enough to let her make her own decisions. This is a more complex book than it first appears.