Thursday, July 15, 2010

A CAST-OFF COVEN by Juliet Blackwell




From what I read, books with vampires, witches, and the like are all the rage. 

If that's the case, this book should be a successful cozy.

Lily Ivory, the witch who runs Aunt Cora's Closet, a fancy antique clothing store, agrees to face off with a demon in the local art college.

Not long  afterward, the school's biggest financial donor is killed outside a haunted room at the school.  So now, Lily is looking for a murderer.

Along the way, Lily finds love, or at least infatuation.  We have to wait for the next book to be sure about that.  She also meets some others involved in the witch and supernatural business.  And she has one heck of a showdown with both ghosts and a demon.

All in all, I would recommend this book.  It was an unusual book for me to read, not meant for stuffy old men like me.

It was a "quick read" with a lot of action.  I found the witch paraphernalia, charms, and incantations interesting.  And I even learned what a "familiar" is.

Who knows?  I may well go back and read the first book in this series and then go from there.


----
I found this book through Lesa's Book Critiques.  I continue to appreciate people who blog about books.

No comments: