Sunday, July 11, 2010

ROY ROGERS, DALE EVANS, AND TRIGGER

(The curtains in my work room.)
















Most people who read this blog know of my interest in Roy Rogers and Dale Evans.  Not only were they movie stars,  they were good people.  They cared for children in a special way.  They lived a traditional Christian life.

I'm sure I am much more liberal as a Christian than they were.  They might even think of people such as me as "way out" liberals. But still, I admire Roy and Dale a lot.

That's why I want to take note of the sale of the contents of the Roy Rogers museum.

We visited the museum in Branson.  We saw the things which will be auctioned.

Roy Rogers was a loyal man.  From what I have read, Gene Autry's horse Champion was several horses.  In other words, the horse was a series of actors, all playing a part.  But Trigger was one horse, a horse which Roy loved.  

When Trigger got old, there was a Trigger Jr. (and a movie giving us the legend of how he came to be), but Trigger himself was a movie star in his own right just as Roy was.  He represented the kind of goodness Roy represented.

I'm not sad about the sale.  As the little man in The Body in the Record Room says, "Nothing lasts forever."  Things change.  And I wish the Rogers family the best.  I know it  couldn't have been easy to close the museum which commemorated Roy and Dale.

But most of the movies remain.  (I don't know if they all do).  And, at least so far as I'm concerned, the Roy Rogers legend continues to live. 

----------
PS Here is an update on the first day of the auction.

2 comments:

J. Patterson said...

MR. Barone, I was doing a search on a related subject, and stumbled onto your site. I felt it was necessary to pause a bit and thank you for the kind words you wrote about Mom and Dad. (I'm married to their youngest daughter, Dodie.)

I greatly appreciate your taking the time to express those beautiful thoughts, and particularly your understanding of the auction last week. It was obviously not what the family would have preferred doing, and it was extremely emotionally trying on them all. The numerous critical expressions only made the associated sorrow sting even more! There were a number of times where many of us were, as Dad used to say, "about to lose our 'perty' ways!"

As such, you can imagine how encouraging words like yours are. Again, thank you for taking the time to write them; and I agree, Roy and Dale's legend and their values still live!

Joe Barone said...

My own father used to say, "People are more important than things." It was the way that Roy and Dale valued children and lived in such a way as to help me learn how to live that made them heroes.

Thanks for your nice note.