Sunday, August 15, 2010

CITY OF VEILS by Zoë Ferraris



City of Veils by Zoë Ferraris is a hard book to write about.

Sometimes the setting becomes a character in a  book.  That's true here.  The book is set in Saudi Arabia, a country where the state-sanctioned religion circumscribes the roles of women.  But the book has women heroes, strong women heroes.

The story begins with two seemingly unrelated events, a missing American contractor and the brutal murder of a rebellious young woman.

Detective Inspector Osama Ibrahim and a young forensic technician, Katya Hijazi, work together to solve the case.  Her friend, Nayir Sharqi, helps Katya.

Everything hinges on the murdered videographer's tapes and CD's. 

Finally, the solution is logical, but unexpected.  And the author tells the story in what was, for me, a powerful and disturbing way.

I recommend this book, but with a warning.  City of Veils is violent, especially at the end.  

4 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

A book set in the Middle East seems destined to be violent. Sounds good though.

Joe Barone said...

It is good, Patti. It is really better than my little summary makes it sound. As I said, it was a hard book for me to write about.

Cathy said...

I'm glad you liked it. This book had me tied up in knots more than once, but it's one of the best books I've read so far this year.

Joe Barone said...

Cathy,
It tied me in knots too. It sure opened my eyes about a lot of things. Thanks for recommending it.

PS Sorry to be so long in posting your comment. As you can tell from the blog itself, I've been off line for a while. Lightening got my router.