Tuesday, October 26, 2010

WHAT I LEARN FROM FICTION

I haven't taken many comment breaks  lately, but here's a short one now.

After reading Rounding the Mark, I thought about how fictional characters sometimes help me know myself better.

I've always been an emotional person.  My father was that way too. 

Whenever I read about characters such as Montalbano, I learn again that many with my heritage are the same.  Montalbano does some silly things. He struggles with his dreams and with depression.

I don't know if there are "cultural characteristics," qualities of character which run in certain groups of people.  Many (but not all) in the group share similar personality traits.  But if there are, my heritage helps explain part of who I am.  

I enjoy books like Rounding the Mark.  That book features a character I think I understand.

No comments: