Monday, January 10, 2011

RIP--RUTH CAVIN



Probably the single greatest joy for me in the publication of my book The Body in the Record Room was in getting to know Ruth Cavin.

I only got to know her through our email correspondence, of course.  She ran across my book as an entry in their cozy contest, and while the book didn't really fit the cozy category, she decided to publish it anyway.

And that started the delightful emails I received from her.  She told me that if I ever got to New York City, she would take me out to lunch.  I didn't have the heart to tell her New York City would scare me to death. 

In every contact I had with her, she was an unfailingly graceful person.  

I'm sure there are others who have so much more to write or say about her, but I know my life is immeasurably better because of her.  May she rest in peace.  

2 comments:

Naomi Johnson said...

She enriched many of us who had never even heard her name, just by doing her job and doing it to the best of her ability, which seems to have been considerable.

Joe Barone said...

Naomi,
I'd never heard of her until I got the email accepting my book. I always entered that contest because sometimes the people who were pre-readers would share a short critique which I valued and learned from.

Ruth encouraged beginning writers. In a world where most of the writing which sells comes from people like James Patterson and Naomi Robb, we need editors like Ruth. They enrich our lives as readers.