Tuesday, April 12, 2011

AN UNINVITED GHOST by E.J. Copperman


Reading E.J. Copperman's An Uninvited Ghost was like eating the frosting and leaving the cake.  It tastes good, but it doesn't have a lot of substance.

Now That's not necessarily bad.  If you are looking for a quick, quick read about a couple of ghosts who live in a bed and breakfast which doesn't serve breakfast, this is just the book for you.

When a rich old lady, a local, is killed during a seance at the B&B, the murder part of the story begins. 

There are two groups at the tourist boarding house, a group of senior citizens, and a group of off-the-wall "teenagers" (some of whom are acutally 20- or maybe even thirty-something actors) with a TV crew filming their exploits for a reality show.

At one point, it comes down to which person the protagonist Alison Kerby trusts the most--a strange ghost wearing a red bandanna on his head or a lawyer.

I'm not kidding!

Alison's ten-year-old-daughter has insights which contribute mightily to the solution of the crime, and the whole thing comes to a roaring climax in a room full of ghosts.

This book has humor, an intriguing puzzle, and fairly high entertainment value.  For many people, I suspect the book has a high entertainment value.

I read An Uninvited Ghost because I've heard that ghosts and vampires are big in all kinds of writing right now.  I wondered what a book like that would be like.

I'm sure not all of them are like this.  This is sort of Janet Evanovich among the ghosts.  I suspect there are others which are Mary Shelley among the ghosts.

In any case, this book was fun.  I'd recommend it to folks who are looking for pure entertainment of a ghostly sort.

---------
This is another book with a strange cover.  The guest house is on the cover.  The house has a black cat prominently featured in front. I read the book quickly, so I could be wrong, but I don't think there was black cat in the whole book.

No comments: