Friday, November 4, 2011

AS THE PIG TURNS by M.C. Beaton



Oh, my! What fun. M.C. Beaton’s As the Pig Turns is another foray into the whacky world of Agatha Raisin.

This time, an unpopular policeman ends up barbecued on a spit. There are unusual touches of violence. Someone sends Agatha the man’s frozen head. Whoever killed him cut off his head, sewed a pig’s head in its place, and brought him to the public barbecue. Then later, the murderer sent Agatha the actual head.

The book has the usual cast of characters. All the men with which Agatha surrounds herself are there. So is Toni (one of her young assistants), Mrs. Bloxby, and the others. The story even includes a new beau at the end, another man to add to her menagerie.

For me, there is no detective quite like Agatha. She is funnier than Stephanie Plum. (In her earlier incarnations, I liked Stephanie too.)

Agatha is self-centered, stubborn, and able to stumble into the most unlikely places.

Overall, Agatha has aged better than Stephanie. Agatha is well-worth reading.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohhh, I didn't know there was a new Agatha book out! I'm now #40 on the library list. Have you read M.C. Beaton's Hamish Macbeth stories? I might like them even a tad better. (Love reading about the highlands.)
Thanks for the heads-up.
Michel

Joe Barone said...

You are welcome.

I have read a few of the Macbeth stories, and I liked them too.