Monday, February 27, 2012

YOU'VE GOT MURDER by Karin Tabke and Edie Ramer





I thought You’ve Got Murder was funny.

Karin Tabke and Edie Ramer didn’t write the book for old men like me. Their story is nothing more than a series of emails, instant messages, and texts between the members of a critique group. The women in the group write mystery stories. Some are successful authors.

One young woman is new to the group. She won a contest to join the group. As they email back and forth, there come to be actual murders, and the story goes from there.

Their correspondence involves all kinds of things--their sex lives, their own histories (some of which involve abuse), even a decision to try to commune with spirits to try to solve one murder. Group members are among the murder suspects.

All of this involves the kind of zany, sex-talk-filled communications only such a group might have. (Like I said, the authors didn’t write this book for old men like me!)

The email format became fragmented and tiresome about two-thirds through. This is the one weakness I saw in an otherwise light, humorous mystery story.

You've Got Murder is an electronic book available on Kindle. It is a good example of the kind of unusual book which might fall through the cracks in today’s James Patterson/J.D. Robb publishing world. I’m glad I ran across it in Edie Ramer’s blog.

2 comments:

Edie Ramer said...

Joe, thank you for the thoughtful review! I appreciate it.

Joe Barone said...

I enjoyed the book and was glad to learn about it.