Sunday, May 27, 2012

THE PATIENCE OF THE SPIDER by Andrea Camilleri







 Andrea Camilleri’s The Patience of the Spider begins with a kidnapping, not a murder. And the backstory is clear early on.

Still, the book has the usual great things I've found in all the Montalbano books I've read. Montalbano solves the crime using his emotions.

Montalbano is the only detective I read whose technique is, not intuitive, but emotional. He can look at something like a spider’s web and see the solution to a crime.

His whole life is emotional. He and his lover Livia are approaching the end of their relationship. They do it in a Sicilian way, emotionally with a lot of arguing and lovemaking. Montalbano is recovering from a gunshot wound. In a way, he survived; in a way he didn’t.

The appeal of these stories to me is in their Sicilian flavor. As I have told you in other comments on these books, my father was the son of Sicilian immigrants. He was emotional and caring. He didn’t do anything halfway.

And that’s the way it is with Montalbano too. It might be fun to go to Italy and eat your way through all the good things Montalbano eats. Montalbano is present in the moment whether the moment is a good one or a bad one.

So, I find these books uniquely human, and I look forward to the next one.   

No comments: