Sunday, May 20, 2012

THE PERFECT PARAGON by M.C. Beaton






One problem with the Agatha Raisin mysteries is that they are all so similar.

I picked up The Perfect Paragon by M.C. Beaton in our retirement center library. I was waiting for my wife.

As I read along, I thought, “I’ve read this before.” So I came home and looked on the blog, and lo and behold! I hadn’t. It was just that, as much as I like these books, they often seem the same.

Here a suspicious Cotswold widow hires Agatha and her usual gaggle of men to find out if her husband is cheating on her.

Already, someone has killed a local teenager. When someone kills the cheating husband, a local business owner, Agatha investigates that murder. And then there is a third murder.

Wouldn’t you know it? Everything is interrelated, and Agatha and her friends solve the crimes.

All the time Agatha worries about what man she can ensnare next. She is afraid she is getting old. And she confides in staid Mrs. Bloxby, the minister’s wife.

I enjoy the Agatha Raisin books. This book was much in the line of what I’m reading now, a series of light books which are quick to read. I need fortification before I again tackle Jack Frost. The Frost books get longer and longer. (And more and more gruesome.)

So I enjoyed this book. If you are looking for the usual Agatha Raisin, this might be the book for you.

No comments: