Wednesday, July 11, 2012

LULLABY by Ace Atkins







In Ace Atkins’ Lullaby, Spenser takes on a 14-year-old client who promises to pay him with a box of doughnuts.

Four years ago, someone killed Mattie Sullivan's mother, a drug addict and prostitute. Mattie is convinced the man convicted is innocent. She wants Spenser to find her mother’s actual killer.

Spenser's investigation leads to a violent scenario involving the mob. Spenser comes up against some old mob enemies. Bad cops play a part in the story, too.

I liked several things about this book. I could visualize the scenes in Boston. Atkins takes us to places such as Bunker Hill. If you’ve never walked up the steps of that monument, you have a physically-challenging experience in store. 

Atkins’ descriptions evoke the Boston I love.

Mattie is a stubborn, Spenser-like character. She does what she needs to do to push things forward, even when her actions put her in danger.

The book reflects Atkins’ knowledge of the Spenser myth. He has many of the right references to Parker’s forty books worth of backstory.

The danger to Spenser and Hawk seems more real than it has in some of the previous books.

I think readers of Robert B. Parker’s Spenser stories will probably like Ace Atkins’ Spenser too.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Promises to pay him with a box of doughnuts? That in itself is a great line, but after reading your review, I'm going to make sure to get my hands on this book.
Michel

Joe Barone said...

Michel, I think you will find this book to be very much in the Spenser tradition.

Anonymous said...

Then I'll enjoy it. Me and the 48 other people on the hold list from the library!! Pretty funny. I'm glad to see people giving Ace Atkins a chance. (After all, it's to our benefit to get more Spenser...)
Michel

Joe Barone said...

Forty-eight people! I am glad to see any good writer who wants to be commercially published have a chance.