Sunday, September 9, 2012

THE OLD BUZZARD HAD IT COMING by Donis Casey








Boynton, Oklahoma-1912--

Donis Casey’s The Old Buzzard Had It Coming is a gentle, simply-written story.

Someone murders Alafair and Shaw Tucker’s reprobate drunken neighbor. The chief suspect is one of the man’s sons.

That son, John Lee, has been courting the Tuckers’ 17-year-old daughter Phoebe, though the Tuckers didn’t know it until the murder.

Because he was so poor, beaten down, and forced to stay at home, John Lee could not court in the normal way. He could not come to the Shaw house.

Also, the Old Buzzard beat up one of his older daughter’s beaus breaking them up. She ran away. No one has seen her since. So John Lee and Phoebe have been chastely meeting in a secret hideaway.

Alafair sets out to clear John Lee. Along the way she finds the murder involves a derringer she owns. And the story becomes more complicated.

This is a wonderful story. It is just as I said in the first line. It is a gentle, clearly-told tale. There are no histrionics, but there are surprises.

As soon as I’m finished writing this, I’m going to go back and order a couple more books in this series.

---------------
I lied. Five of the Alafair Tucker books are available in affordable e-editions. I ordered the four available ones I haven’t read.

8 comments:

Naomi Johnson said...

I really like this series, too. I hope more people discover the Tucker family.

Joe Barone said...

Well Naomi, I plan to tell people about these books.

Cathy said...

as my eyesight gets worse, this captcha is harder and harder for me to decipher. One of these days I'm going to just give up altogether and pretend I'm one of those robots.

Anyway... I'm so glad you enjoyed this book. I've got to read one more before I get to the galley of her latest that's coming out in November. So much of what Donis writes about reminds me of my own family history.

Joe Barone said...

I have trouble with those words to type in too. They are more and more hard to read.

My response to this book was just as I said--very gentle and well written.

Joe Barone said...

Cathy, I went back and took the word verification out. I will let my moderator role suffice. When I first started writing this blog, I often wrote of religious things. Religious subjects sometimes trigger certain robots.

Cathy said...

Yes, that would be one topic that would attract certain... elements. Thank you for removing it.

Sergio (Tipping My Fedora) said...

Sounds great Joe - not a series I've encountered before but sounds very appealing.

Cheers!

Joe Barone said...

Sergio,
This was a good book. The style reflected the subject matter. This was a simply-told story.