Sunday, March 24, 2013

HOME INVASION by Patti Abbott






Patti Abbott’s Home Invasion is a series of short stories that unfold into a novel.

The stories follow the life of Billie Batch and her family.

Each step along the way Billie and her family sink deeper into self-destructive despair. Billie’s father abandons Billie and her mother. When Billie finally finds her father, he is a religious fanatic whose minister rapes Billie.

The stories go from there. Billie hooks up with two men, both losers. Billie’s oldest son, her favorite, dies trying to break up a knife fight. The police catch Billie’s youngest son housebreaking.

And there is much more.

Along the way, I kept asking myself, “Where is this story going? Where is this story going?” And by the end, I was literally saying, “Wow! It got there.”

That “Wow!” moment comes near the very end. It involves Billie’s youngest son’s housebreaking, the boy’s grandmother (his father’s mother), and the boy’s relationship with two people, one a woman and one his homosexual partner. It also involves his love for a small child.

As I read this book, I kept asking myself, “What in the world can I say about this book?” Then, near the end, I thought, “I just need to say, ‘This is a great book, but you need to read it to the very end.’”

I highly recommend Patti Abbott’s Home Invasion.
----------------
I bought Home Invasion as an e-book from Amazon.

4 comments:

Naomi Johnson said...

I have this on my ereader. Got to get to it soon.

Joe Barone said...

Naomi, This is an excellent book. I always struggle when I read Patti's writing because she is such an effective noir writer, very compact and very unflinching. My sensitive little self likes to avoid the details of the lives of people who struggle in the way these people do. But, of course, this is quite true to life. I need to read more books like this. I think you will love this book.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Joe-thanks so much. Came to look for a book review for tomorrow and look what I found.

Joe Barone said...

You are welcome. I think you are a powerful writer.