Wednesday, March 27, 2013

THE DANCE OF THE SEAGULL by Andrea Camilleri








Andrea Camilleri’s The Dance of the Seagull is humorous and tragic.

Montalbano sees a dying seagull. He watches it having convulsions. Then he buries it at sea.

Later in the book, he learns the story of a man who died in what Inspector Montalbano sees as similar death throes. Montalbano is greatly touched.

Along the way, Montalbano is as risqué, as humorous, and as manipulative as ever. When his trusted assistant Fazio disappears, Montalbano pulls out all the stops to find him. Montalbano even forgets to notify his lover Livia that he won’t be going on their get-away. They were to leave that afternoon.

I find Andrea Camilleri’s Montalbano books authentic. I’ve said this before. My father was of Sicilian heritage. Reading the Montalbano books has led me to believe there is a Sicilian personality. Montalbano is emotional, intuitive, and lives life to the full. He has high ups and low downs. Surely all Sicilians aren’t this way, but my dad was, and so is Inspector Montalbano.

To me the only weakness to the books is in an assistant’s dialect that, in its written English form, I can sometimes hardly understand.

As always, I appreciate Camilleri’s translator Stephen Sartarelli. He is as important as Camilleri himself in opening this wonderful world to me.

I enjoy Andrea Camilleri’s Inspector Montalbano books.

2 comments:

carol said...

I was disppointed by the last one I listened to - The Age of Doubt, but I'm hoping it was just a fluke.

Joe Barone said...

I've not yet read THE AGE OF DOUBT. There have been some of these books I've liked more than others. I thought this was one of the better ones. It has a complex way that it works out. But Montalbano's humor and manipulation of superiors is on full display.