Tuesday, July 2, 2013

THE AGE OF DOUBT by Andrea Camilleri








Andrea Camilleri’s The Age of Doubt was my least favorite Inspector Montalbano story so far.

Montalbano helps a young woman in a rainstorm, and she takes advantage of him. When he tells her who he is, she makes up a story to manipulate him. She gets him to investigate something he might not have investigated at all.

And the investigation leads to several crimes, including murders.

The problem is, this time Montalbano isn’t his usual humorous self. He comes off as a sex-obsessed liar. He worries about aging, and if you consider just this book alone, he is not aging in a pleasant way.

The story seems contrived. Montalbano never gets together with his new young love interest. Repeatedly some coincidence intervenes.

Except for a few scenes (most notably a phone conversation with his long-term mistress Liva), Inspector Montalbano is not the usual humorous self-obsessed Sicilian I have come to expect in these books.

Fortunately, I‘ve read the next book in the series. I know Camilleri returns to form.

As always, I appreciate Camilleri’s translator Stephen Sartarelli. Without Mr. Sartarelli, I would never have been able to enjoy one of my favorite mystery story characters of all time.

2 comments:

carol said...

I've only read a couple of these and disliked this one. Glad to see it's an anomaly.

Joe Barone said...

I thought it was an anomaly. I just finished August Heat and liked it a lot. The Montalbano books are very Italian which is one thing I like. I come from Sicilian heritage and like to see characters who are sort of off the wall like some of the Sicilians I knew.