Thursday, July 25, 2013

USING PSEUDONYMS






Within the last week, I wrote short comments about a popular new book. I used the author's pseudonym without mentioning her actual name. Why?

Two reasons: (1) She said that's what she wanted, and I take her at her word. I understand she might have wanted honest critiques from people who didn't know her real identity. Once her law firm blew her cover, that hope was dead, but still, I decided to honor her wish.

And (2) I saw her use of a pseudonym as different. I had always thought of a pseudonym as a simple way of hiding the author's identity. Names like Ed McBain, Richard Bachman (whom I've not read), and A.A. Fair all seem to be used in that way.

But this lady's pseudonym seemed different. She created a little biography for her pseudonymous writer. It was as if the book was a fiction book written by a fictional author.

That concept intrigued me. The idea of creating a fictional character who then writes a fictional book may have been done before (maybe often, for all I know), but nothing of the sort comes immediately to my mind.

I think I remember a book where the main character writes a book, but for the life of me, I can't recall what book it was. And besides, that is still a different thing. 

In any case, I was intrigued by the character of the fictional author. I thought it should be honored. 

2 comments:

GeorgeP said...

My whole thing on this is the "Castle" tv show and the Richard Castle books. The books are listed as if actually written by a Richard Castle.

Joe Barone said...

I haven't read the Richard Castle books. I will try one as I go along.