Sunday, December 1, 2013

A GREAT DELIVERANCE by Elizabeth George






Elizabeth George's A Great Deliverance (1988) grew on me.

At first, the book seemed like an ordinary police procedural. Then when Inspector Linley's superior insisted that he work with Barbara Havers, the story became interesting.

Linley is an aristocrat, wealthy, and well thought of. Havers comes from lower class background. She is angry and hard to work with. Her superiors demoted her out of homicide to walk a beat. This is Havers' last chance.

And it doesn't go perfectly. When the Lindley and Havers re-open a case where a mentally-ill Yorkshire girl cut off her father's head, things get interesting.

It all ties in to a crying baby in Keldale Abbey, a child killed centuries ago.

Every major character has an interesting backstory. Some are creating their backstories in the present time.

Havers makes a mistake.

Along the way, most readers will know basically what happened. It is not so much the mystery as it is backstory that makes this an interesting book. But, for me at least, George had a surprise near the end.

I confess, I read this story more than a week ago. I didn't have access to my blog to write back then. So I am more vague than usual.

But one thing I am not vague about. I liked the book. I will read more.
–---
A QUOTATION FROM ELIZABETH GEORGE'S A GREAT DELIVERANCE-- 

“...I didn't understand the Bible stories very well. It's mostly 'cause no one ever got in trouble for their lies......

“Everybody was always lying with other people. Least, that's what the stories said. No one ever got told it was wrong.”
–- Bertie Edwards, Head of Forensics.

No comments: