Friday, January 10, 2014

A MURDER OF CROWS by P.F. Chisholm







P.F. Chisholm's
A Murder of Crows is about murder and political intrigue in Shakespeare’s England.

Sir Robert Carey's father asks Carey and his deputy Sergeant Dodd to investigate a murder. The murdered man's body washed up on the banks of the Thames.

The investigation leads to a land swindle involving even the Queen's courtiers.

(As best I could tell, the Queen's courtiers are the crows of the title. The book has long descriptions of murderous flocks of crows along the river and elsewhere.)

Sergeant Dodd hires a lawyer to prosecute the Queen's favorite courtier for abuse. That, in itself, is dangerous.

And the story goes on to involve several people who are not what they seem to be. 

A Murder of Crows is what I would call an aficionado's book. If you are interested in Shakespeare's England, and if you are willing to wade through the probably very-accurate dialects, you might well like the book.

I enjoyed the book, but I found it hard to read. For one thing, the first ten percent of the book involves a long conversation about what happened in the last book. I could hardly follow that part. But I had been warned. The person who recommended this book said clearly that it might be better to start reading this series from its first book.

Still, there was a lot about this book I liked. It had some wonderful characters—Carey's mother for one. She alone was worth the price of admission.

So, I will probably read more of these, but believe me, I'll start at the first one.

2 comments:

Richard said...

Dialect is always a dicey choice by an author. Not sure it sounds like it works here, Joe.

Joe Barone said...

It works but this was my first encounter with the series. As I said, I think I would have been better able to follow along if I had started at the the beginning of the series. I suspect I would even get into it.