Tuesday, October 7, 2014

A NOTE FROM JOE--My top ten books







It is a fad right now. People list their top ten favorite books.

I’ve seen all kinds of lists on Facebook. People seem to do it so easily.

I couldn’t do it.

Because of what I’ve just read, I’ve been thinking about it.

I think I could list three (at least for right now) and a few other possibilities.

Right now, number one on my list would be Josephene Tey’s A Daughter of Time. That book, based on Sir Francis Bacon’s comment that truth is the daughter of time, has to do with the nature of reality. What we think is real isn’t.

There would be a fight for numbers two and three on my list between the Bible and Viktor Frankl’s Man’s Search for Meaning. Interestingly, both books live in the truth of Josephene Tey. Their meanings are relative.

My thinking has also gone to other books I might put somewhere on the list, and so far, I’ve come up with three--Reginald Hill’s On Beulah Height, Strunk and White’s The Elements of Style, and Harper Lee’s To Kill a Mockingbird.

So I guess I’ve got a start, but every book on the list is shadowed by the first book’s insights. Truth is the daughter of time.

2 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

That's a very good start. And my list would change every day.

Joe Barone said...

Truthfully, mine does too, I expect.