Sunday, November 16, 2014

CARIOCA FLETCH by Gregory Mcdonald



 




In Gregory Mcdonald’s Carioca Fletch (1984), Fletch attends the Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, Carinival.

Along the way, he meets a woman who believes Fletch murdered her husband. Then he meets another woman who thinks Fletch is the reincarnation of her murdered husband who died more than forty years ago. And finally, he becomes involved with a group of crazy carnival dancers.

Fletch helps the dancers dispose of a dead body by making it look as if the man drowned in a boat accident. He finds the man who murdered the second woman's husband, and he reconciles with the first woman.

The story seems disjointed because Fletch’s experience is disjointed. Nothing about what happens to him makes sense to people who think like me. 

But that’s the point of it all. The wild described-in-detail carnival atmosphere transforms Fletch.

It took me a while to get into this book, but when I did, I found Carioca Fletch funny and readable.

I used to enjoy reading the Fletch stories. When I ran across this book in our local used book store, I bought it. (The book is also available as an e-book.)

2 comments:

Bill Crider said...

I like Fletch a lot, but this wasn't one of my favorites in the series.

Joe Barone said...

It was not one of my favorites either, though I thought I understood what he was trying to do.
I used to look forward to every new Fletch, but I hadn't read this one until now.