Monday, April 13, 2015

PREY ON PATMOS by Jeffrey Siger






Jeffrey Siger’s Prey on Patmos (2011) is an excellent police procedural with engaging characters and a fascinating setting.

Three men brutally murder a pious monk on the Greek island of Patmos.

Chief Inspector Andreas Kaldis and his crew investigate the murder.

They don’t know who ordered the investigation, nor do they know who engineered the murder.

The town square murder occurs during Easter week when pilgrims flock to Patmos where John of Patmos supposedly wrote the Book of Revelation.

Twenty monasteries survive on the Holy Mountain. Seventeen are Greek, one is Russian, one Serbian, and one Bulgarian. Several of them are locked in a struggle for control.

The monk’s murder is somehow tied to that struggle.

Meanwhile Andreas’ lover Lila is about to have their baby. Andreas is struggling with whether he should do what he wants to do, ask Lila to marry him. 
(He doesn't feel worthy.)

The last place Andreas wants to be is on the island of Patmos.

Andreas, his assistant Yianni, and Andreas’ secretary Maggie (the power behind the throne), work to solve the murder.

Maggie’s faith and her desire to protect the church play a large part in the story.

I admire Jeffrey Siger’s writing skill. He tells a complex, setting-heavy story in a readable way.

I look forward to reading the next Chief Inspector Kaldis Mystery.

----------

Prey on Patmos is the third book in what is now a six-book series. I think the seventh book is set to come out this year.

3 comments:

Richard said...

A series I really like a lot, so I'm always glad to see a review that says someone else likes it too. For me, this is one of those writers for whom I drop everything else when a new book comes out.

Joe Barone said...

Richard, I came to this series late and am now working through. I started at the beginning. As you read, I like these books a lot, and so does my wife. She doesn't read all mysteries. Only a few. For her to like a mystery book is a special compliment.

Robert said...

If my memory is correct, I read the first Siger book, and I look forward to reading the others, especially now since I have read your review.

BTW, at my new blog -- Crimes in the Library -- the door is open, the chairs are comfortable, and the coffee is hot, so I hope you will stop by every now and then. Join the conversation!