Saturday, April 25, 2015

THE RESISTANCE MAN by Martin Walker






Martin Walker’s The Resistance Man follows the pattern Walker set in the earlier novels.

The books involve historic intrigue and personal greed or vengeance. Bruno Courrrèges, chief of police of St. Denis, France, separates the threads and solves the murders.

Along the way, Bruno interacts with his boss the Mayor, with the townspeople of St. Denis, with the Gendarmes, with the Secret Service, and with his special friends.

His friends include at least two women he has bedded as he seeks a mate who wants to settle down and have children.

The books describe good French wines, and meals with the recipes given in the text’s descriptions. They have explicitly-described local settings, Bruno doing good things in simple ways, and personal violence with danger near the end.

One thing this book adds is that Bruno makes several potentially tragic errors.

In The Resistance Man, a local war hero, a resistance man, dies of old age. At the same time, thieves break into empty tourist houses, all of them filled with art and expensive antiques.

Add in a brutal murder where the man’s head is so beaten in he is unrecognizable, a terrible accident involving someone Bruno loves, and a tragic revelation for Bruno, and you have the story in The Resistance Man.

As often happens, Bruno faces personal danger.

The plot revolves around the July, 1944, Neuvic train robbery. In his “Acknowledgements,” Walker calls that robbery “by far the greatest train robbery of all time.” What happened to the money?

This excellently-written story has a little of everything.

I prefer the Bruno books with more personal detail. This one was more history. But still, no wonder these books are always excellently-reviewed and well thought of. I would recommend all the Bruno, Chief of Police, novels I have read so far.

6 comments:

Robert (R.T.) Davis said...

Thanks to your great posting, I have another author added to my "must read" list. Well done! I am accumulating great new authors and titles for my future reading at my new blog, Crimes in the Library, and Martin Walker will be a great new addition. Again, thanks!

Joe Barone said...

You are welcome, R. T. I think reading mysteries and writing about them is a great way to spend retirement. I hope you find it so too. --Joe.

Joe Barone said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joe Barone said...

R.T., I've added you blog to my "Some Interesting Blogs" list. I appreciated your Dan Simmons listing. It sounds really interesting. I deleted my last posting because I wrote your "you Dickens listing." I thought I should get the author's name correct.

Robert (R.T.) Davis said...

The Dickins-Simmons inversion is understandable given the Drood title. And I appreciate being given a place of honor among your "Interesting Blogs." I hope I can live up to the honor by making the blog a worthwhile destination. BTW, do you Rx reading the Bruno novels in order or selectively?

Joe Barone said...

In order. The stories build.