Wednesday, May 25, 2016

WHY I READ MYSTERY STORIES, AND WHY I BLOG

I read the books I do for enjoyment. I don't read them or write about them to promote them, though it seems like a little bonus if I help lead someone else to a book I enjoyed.

I blog, not so much to be read as to focus my own thoughts about my reading. I've been that way all my life. I think in writing. I don't fully formulate my thoughts unless I write them down.

Maybe some of the rest of you are like that too. For me to think something through, I have to write it down. Also, writing is among the most enjoyable things I do.

So that's what this blog is about, formulating my own thoughts. As I've gotten older, I find myself having to refresh my memory about something I read a while ago. My brief writings help me do that.

Every once in a while, it is good to remind myself what I am about. I'm not about having a lot of people read what I write. I'm not about trying to impress anybody (when I do that, I always fail). I'm about writing for myself, and if people happen to look in, they are always welcome. --Joe Barone.


4 comments:

Nan said...

I'm pretty much the same way. I feel that I think better in writing than I do in talking. These days I haven't had as much time to write about books, but I have posts in my head all the time. :<)

Joe Barone said...

Nan, Birds of a feather. Putting words together helps me put thoughts together. Thanks for your comment. --Joe.

R. T. (Tim) Davis said...

You've nailed it! Your words echo exactly my motivation for book-blogging. I do not know what I think until I've written it down somewhere. At least I'm not the only one with that quirk. All the best from the U.S. Gulf coast and Past Perfect Murders.
Tim
http://pastperfectmurders.blogspot.com/

Joe Barone said...

Tim, I looked in on your blog. I like Camilleri too. A lot. My father was the son of Sicilian immigrants. I see a lot of my father's personality traits in Montalbano. Thanks for your comment.